Saturday, March 5, 2011
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
- 2 c. sour cream (16 oz.)
- 1 c. olives
- 1 c. shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a nonstick skillet, cook meat. Add beans, oregano, cumin and garlic powder and heat through. Place 6 tortillas, overlapping, in a 9 x 13 pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover with 1/2 of the meat mixture. Sprinkle 1/2 cup olives on top. Pour half jar of salsa over meat mixture. Spread 1 cup sour cream over top. Repeat with tortillas, meat, olives, salsa and sour cream one more time. Bake, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes, or until bubbly. Sprinkle cheese over top, cook for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
TOPPINGS: 1 pound ground beef 1 package taco seasoning mix 1 can Chili 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce 1/2 cup Salsa Sour cream 3 Tomatoes, chopped
FRY BREAD: 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup milk 4 cups oil for frying, or as needed
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef with taco seasoning mix according to seasoning mix package directions. Add the chili and heat through. Cover, and keep warm while you prepare the fry bread.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk, and mix until the dough comes together. Add more flour if necessary to be able to handle the dough. On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, at least 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large, deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). Oil should be about 1 1/2 inches deep. Break off 3/4 cup sized pieces of dough, and shape into round discs 1/4 inch in thickness, making a thinner depressed area in the center. Fry breads in the hot oil until golden on both sides, turning only once. Drain on paper towels.
- Top fry bread with ground beef, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and sour cream. You can also top with other of your favorite taco toppings, such as onion, ranch or guacamole.